Tips for Website Creation
Does this sound like you?
- You want us (or someone else) to create a web site for your company.
- You have some practice quizzes (or online quizzes) you want to sell.
- You want the web site to do all the work and make you money while you sleep.
Not a problem – we do this all the time. That is what we do – help people get set up with their own online e-learning business. But when you are starting up, you will need to be realistic about how much time, and money it will take to get started.
In the years (and years) I have been doing this, the most common misconception I have found is that people starting up their online e-learning businesses do not know how much it takes to get the web site set up (money and time).
Be prepared to spend a lot of time, or a lot of money.
I don’t say this to scare you off, but to make you understand that you will be spending either a lot of your time, or a lot of your money to do it right. Have lots of money? Great – we can do it all for you. Have lots of time? Great – save the money and do as much as you possibly can on your own, and just broker off to us the pieces you cannot do by yourself.
Tips for those without a lot of money (most of us)
The reality is, most of us don’t have a lot of time or money. However, most people are able to squeeze some time more easily than money, so here are some tips you can use to shave off some expense in exchange for your time:
- Draw a diagram/flow chart of your navigation so you understand where users will be able to get from each page.
- Create your top-level menu (like home, products, support, store, about us, etc etc) ahead of time
- Create the bulk of the content to go on each page (this saves lots of billable time)
- Minimize the # pages to what is absolutely necessary to start (you can always add more later)
- Keep your purchasing system simple. You DO NOT need a shopping cart if you are only selling a few items. Simple “buy now” links for each product are easier and quicker (and cheaper) to implement
- Forgo the automated enrollment/automated keycode creation for your first go. Automating these things means paying us to write code, which takes our time (and your money) – this can be saved for when you are generating revenue from your site
By following the above steps, you could easily cut the development costs to less than 1/2 of what they would be if you had us do it all, and, you will learn a lot about the process along the way.
If you enjoyed this article please consider staying updated via RSS.